Vacancy: Design Engineer
IPU is an established organisation that designs and builds systems for use in the Oil and Gas and Gen Set industries. Our systems provide independent or emergency starting capability in some of the harshest environments on the planet. We design and manufacture standard and bespoke fuel cleaning and fuel polishing systems capable of cleaning and maintaining fuel in tanks as large as 1 million litres
As a Draftsman/Design Engineer, you will be responsible for taking basic layout drawings, P&ID’s and technical instruction from the project engineer to produce 3D layouts of systems.
- Take ownerships of assemblies and parts to produce accurate GA representations, within a defined period of time, of the build in Solidworks
- Read and interpret P+IDs utilising basic knowledge of hydraulic circuits
- Produce detailed GA drawings that are sent to suppliers to demonstrate the scope of supply
- Produce fabrication drawings in line with BS8888.
- Generate & Upload accurate BOM’s from Solidworks into the companies MRP system
- Support the workshop with general support during production
- Complete as built drawings and ensure drawing folders and files are kept clean and up to date
- Produce fully rendered images using Solidworks Visualize software.
- Complete Non-Conformance Reports (NCR) when required
- Interface at a highly professional level with our customers both internally and externally
- Be able to work to deadlines to ensure dispatch dates are met.
- Assist in the development of a range of standard and hydraulic, pneumatic starting systems, fuel cleaning products and any other product development
- Work within the Engineering team to develop and sign off engineering designs and drawings before they are passed to manufacturing to ensure flawless manufacture.
- Be prepared to work independently
- Be prepared to take a hands-on role, working closely with our workshop engineers.
- Work with sub-suppliers where necessary to ensure quality of outsourced items and compliance to their quality standards and customer’s order.
- Liaise with procurement on technical product requirements and specifications.
- Ensure that the company and customer quality standards are met or exceeded.
- Work within defined department processes
- Advanced Solidworks user
- Good knowledge of Solidworks parts, assemblies, weldments and sheet metal
- Full understanding of how BOM’s are generated in Solidworks, including an understanding of part and assembly properties and design tables
- Produce detailed fabrication drawings utilising weldment cut lists where applicable
- Produce sheet metal fabrication drawings utilising flat patterns
- Demonstrable Engineering skill and experience gained in a tightly regulated environment
- Is able to design filtration systems with pumps, valves, filters, gauges, pipework etc using Solidworks
- Practical mechanical engineering background.
- Able to prioritise
- Organised and methodical in working practices
- Good drafting skills
- Good practical knowledge of production process’s such as welding and fabrication as well as an overall understanding of how things go together
- Good understanding of revision control of engineering drawings
- Problem Solver
- Understanding of hydraulics
- Understanding of compressed air
- Basic understanding of simple electrics
- Proficiency in CAD skills (Ideally Solidworks)
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal
- A collaborative team player who takes individual responsibility
- Committed to continuous improvement and innovation
- IT Literate
- Can-do attitude
- Well organised
- Knowledge of Driveworks