IPU provides a full range of air starters including starter motors and whole systems. We even offer a full installation and commissioning service. Many clients choose air starting as it is a reliable and powerful method of starting an engine. You can even use your existing air supply to minimise costs and reduce the need for large air tanks.
- Benefits of air starters
- Guaranteed start: Guaranteed to start any diesel engine up to 150 litres. IPU’s air starters operate at pressures from 3 to 30 bar so are flexible enough to suit any application. This also allows them to use an existing air supply.
- Performance in all conditions: IPU’s air starter motors are highly resistant to corrosion because of a cast iron casing and aluminium components. This makes them ideal for marine and offshore applications.
- Low maintenance: Developed as an easy to install, fit-and-forget solution, Jetstream air starter motors are resilient against wear and damage, needing no lubrication. They are totally maintenance-free.
- Safe in hazardous areas: IPU’s pre-engaged air starters meet ATEX regulations for both gas and dust environments such as offshore, marine and mining.
- How air starters work
How air starters work
When the engine starting sequence is initiated a rush of compressed air is released. This strikes the primary turbine wheel and causes it to rotate at high speed. As the air exits the first wheel it strikes each subsequent wheel causing each to turn. Eventually the wheels reach speeds of between 25 to 40 thousand rpm. This velocity is reduced by about 10:1 inside a planetary gearbox sitting just in front of the turbine mechanism.
- Marine gensets and auxiliary engines
Air starters are compatible with marine engines used for auxiliary applications including electrical power generation for emergency or ship service power, diesel electric propulsion, power units, fire pumps and hydraulic units.
Manufacturer Engine Models Cummins 6B-CP 6BT5.9 6C-CP 6CT8.3 6CTA8.3 DCG/M/N K19-CP K38-CP K50-CP KTA19 KTA38 KTA50 MDDCF MDDCG MDDCH MDDCJ MDDCK MDDCL MDDCM MDDCN MDDCP MDDCR MDKBH MDKBJ MDKBW MDKDK MDKDL MDKDM MDKDN MDKDR MDKDS MDKDT MDKDU MDKDV MDKPD NT855 NTA855 QSB7 QSK19 QSK38 QSK50 QSK60 QSK95 QSM11 VTA28 Caterpillar 3500 3500E C1.5 C18 C18 C2.2 C280 C280-12 C280-16 C280-6 C280-8 C32 C32 C4.4 C7.1 C9.3 C9.3 Caterpillar MaK M20C M20G M25C M25E M32C M32E M34DF M43C M46DF VM32C VM32E VM43C VM46DF Kohler Marine 40EOZCJ 33EFOZCJ 40EFOZCJ 50EFOZCJ 55EOZCJ 45EFOZCJ 65EOZCJ 55EFOZCJ 80EOZCJ 70EFOZCJ 99EOZCJ 80EFOZCJ 125EOZCJ 100EFOZCJ 150EOZCJ 125EFOZCJ 200EOZCJ 175EFOZCJ Volvo Penta D5AT D5ATA D7AT D7ATA D9MG D13MG D16MG Perkins 4.4GM 4.4TGM 4.4TW2GM 4.4TWGM 415GM 422GM 422TGM E70-TAG Scania DI09070M DI09072M DI13070M DI13071M DI13072M DI13073M DI13077M DI13078M DI13080M DI13081M DI13082M DI13083M DI13085M DI13086M DI13089M DI13092M DI16070M DI16071M DI16072M DI16073M DI16076M DI16077M DI16079M DI16080M DI16081M DI16082M DI16083M GE L250 V228 V250 Yanmar 4CHL-N 4CHL-TN 4CHL-TNA 4HAL2-TN 4HAL2-TN1 4HAL2-WT 6AYL-WET 6AYL-WST 6CHL-HTN 6CHL-HTNA 6CHL-N 6CHL-TN 6CHL-TNA 6EY18ALW 6EY18LW 6EY22ALW 6EY22LW 6EY26LW 6EY33LW 6HAL2-N 6HAL2-TN 6HAL2-WDT 6HAL2-WHT 6HAL2-WT 6N165LW 6NY16LW 8EY26LW 8EY33LW Deutz BF4M1013M BF4M1013MC BF6M1013M BF6M1013MC BF6M1013MCP BF6M1014MC BF6M1015M BF8M1015MC F3L912 F4L912 F5L912 F6L912 TCD2015V6M TCD2015V8M TCD914L6M TD914L6M SDEC/Jinan CCFJ40J CCFJ50J CCFJ64J CCFJ75J CCFJ90J CCFJ100J CCFJ120J CCFJ130J CCFV150J CCFJ180J CCFJ200J CCFJ250J 95 135 G128
- ATEX-approved air starters
ATEX-approved air starters
IPU’s air starter motors are ATEX approved. This means they are safe for use in an explosive environment. We achieve this by offering two key technical advantages:
- Cast iron construction: We don’t use aluminium casings on our starter motors. ATEX regulations recommends against using aluminium as it increases the risk of a thermite reaction. IPU’s starter motors instead use cast iron.
- Pre-engaged starter motors: IPU’s pre-engaged air starters wait until the pinion has engaged with the ring-gear before rotating at high speed. This eradicates the risk of sparks being produced by traditional inertia starters.