Jetstream 5 Air (Pneumatic) Starter Motor
Jetstream 5 is an extremely resilient air starter motor that is suitable for engines up to 80 litres. The Jetstream 5 is manufactured from high-grade materials to resist wear and damage. This also makes them ideal for marine and offshore applications.
The Jetstream 5 is also ATEX compliant. This ensures it is suitable for hazardous environments (such as underground mines with explosive atmospheres). The Jetstream 5 removes the risk of sparks by engaging the pinion with the ring gear before cranking the engine.
Jetstream 5 air starter motor advantages
- Suitable for ATEX requirements (EN1834-1).
- Will start engines up to 80 litres.
- Delivered as inertia or pre-engaged starting.
- Available with integrated relay valve, exhaust adaptors or mufflers giving reduced fitting time.
- Available in 3 pressure options:
- Low pressure – for operation down to 3 bar inlet pressure.
- Medium pressure – for operation up to 10 bar inlet pressure.
- High pressure – for operation up to 30 bar inlet pressure.
- Optional beryllium copper non-spark pinion.
- Requires no lubrication – virtually maintenance free.
How do pre-engaged air starter motors work?
A pre-engaged starter motor mitigates any risk of sparks by fully engaging the pinion with the ring-gear before initiating the high-speed rotation that cranks the engine.
Unlike inertia starters, a pre-engaged air starter motor only rotates the pinion at high speed after it has fully engaged with the ring-gear. There is no collision between a rapidly rotating pinion and a stationary ring-gear.
A relay valve controls the movement of the pinion, sliding it along the shaft until it connects with the ring-gear. Once engaged the full pneumatic (air) pressure is released through the starter motor to crank the engine.
ATEX regulations ensure that products are safe for use in explosive environments. IPU’s pre-engaged air starter motors conform to ATEX EN1834-1 and 2. This certifies that they are safe for use in flammable gas atmospheres as well as underground environments vulnerable to combustible dust. IPU’s air starter motors are ATEX approved because of their cast iron construction and because they use a pre-engaged starting method.
Video: 360 degree view of a Jetstream 5 starter motor