M38 Hydraulic Starter Motor
The M38 hydraulic starter motor is capable of producing a maximum torque of 124Nm at 3000 psi (207bar). The M38 is also fully cast iron (including the flange and pinion housing), making it suitable for all environments and resistant to damage.
The M38 is fitted with a heavy duty inertia bendix and pinions which are machined from one cast block. This eliminates the process of pressing the pinion onto the bendix cup. A common method used by other starter motors and is a known fail point in many applications.
- Non-spark pinions
Depending on your application, the M38 hydraulic starter motor can be fitted with either a steel or beryllium copper pinion. If the environment is potentially hazardous a beryllium copper pinion helps to reduce the risk of sparks.
- Key advantages:
- Interchangeable design: Both the pinion and mounting flange are interchangeable, enabling the configuration of the starter motor to be altered. This allows the starter motor to be customised to fit most types of engine.
- Guaranteed start: Hydraulic energy can be stored indefinitely providing the system is installed and maintained to IPU specification. It can also be quickly and easily re-charged via a hand pump.
- Performance in all conditions: Hydraulic starters are unaffected by either very hot or cold conditions provided the correct viscosity of oil is used. They similarly operate efficiently following extensive periods of shut down.
- Low maintenance: Hydraulic starting systems are designed to last as long as your engine so why not enjoy low maintenance and replacement costs, as well as peace of mind? The system is enclosed with all internal components immersed in oil, protecting it from the adverse environmental conditions that damage electric or vane starters.
- M38 hydraulic starter motor specifications
Weight 21.5 kg (47.4 lbs) Construction Cast iron (ductile iron) Max. working press. 21 MPa (3000 psi) Fluid media Mineral oil Viscosity range ISO 32 to 46 (SUS 140-230) Temperature range -40°C to +100°C (-40°F to +212°F) Speed range 0-3000 rpm Rotation CW – Standard (CCW – Optional) Duty cycle Intermittent Overall volumetric efficiency 95% (minimum) Displacement 38cc
Max. torque at 21 MPa
- Dimensions (in mm)
Overall length 435mm (17.1″) Max. motor length 328mm (12.9″) Motor diameter 130mm (5.1″) Dist. between ports 65mm (2.6″) Inlet port SAE 12 Outlet port SAE 12 Flange thickness 21mm (0.83″) Pinion hsg. Length 113mm (4.5″) Mounting flange SAE 3 Flange to ring gear (FRG) 50.8mm (2″)