Vacancy: Generator Control Systems Engineer
March 6th, 2019
IPU Group is an industrial company specialising in manufacturing and supplying solutions for a number of key markets which include stand-by power generation, oil and gas, industrial and marine engines.
This is a brand new role that sits within our busy and ever-growing engineering team.
Divisional Director – Engine Controls and Components
Area of direct responsibility:
Providing supporting technically for the Engine Controls Division sales team and customers for our ComAp, GAC and Enovation product ranges. The focus sits with our ComAp controls product offering. This will involve telephone, meetings and site support.
- To provide technical support to our external customers, plus responsibility for customer Training and demonstrations, Customer Technical liaison, Manufacturing liaison and sales support.
- Provide pre-sales technical advice and applications engineering to external customers about ComAp and GAC products to ensure the customer is aware of and is buying the correct part/system for the job.
- Engage in training as new products are launched and technical specifications are released.
- Panel design for customer builds, including drawings and BOM’s.
- Provide post-sales technical advice to external customers to help them get the maximum benefit from products.
- Demonstrate ComAp and GAC products to customers to ensure they are aware of the benefits IPU group products will give them.
- Provide help and advice to IPU staff where previous experience or knowledge may be of benefit.
- Run the Training facility at IPU on ComAp provide suitable hands on training as required.
- Provide on-site commissioning assistance to customers as required in IPU’s sales territories. Some facilities are typically: Banks and MOD establishments and therefore unusual working times are often, but not always needed, to commission the systems. Weekend working is sometimes required, which receives special payment.
- Provide back-up for the GAC engineer, when he is on site or on holiday and vice versa.
- Provide technical assistance as required for customer visits.
- To assist in the sales of all IPU equipment where possible.
- To help expand the sales of the Engine Controls Division at IPU.
- Monitor and maintain (technical content) of the ECD IPU web site: www.ipu.co.uk
- To monitor the competition technically.
- To travel overseas as necessary/ for customer assistance, including America (GAC factory) and Prague (ComAp factory).
- Assist at the On-Site Power show as required.
- The job requires a certain amount of travelling and being away from home.
- Attend sales meetings as required at IPU.
Experience and competencies:
- The engineer should preferably have considerable experience in the generator set controls business and be completely familiar and experienced in multi set paralleling and single set parallel operation with the mains.
- Experience with ComAp, DSE or Dief controllers would be a key skill set.
- A full understanding of digital control systems and experience with CAN bus and electronic engines is required.
- An HNC or degree in Electronics or electrical engineering would be very beneficial.
- Experience in Modbus and PLC programming.
- A level of knowledge in Networking and communications would be an advantage.
- Customer service driven
- Flexible and adaptable
- Able to travel to customer sites
- Self-starter and self-motivated
- Excellent communicator, both verbal and written
- Problem solver
- Collaborative team player